Thursday, January 20, 2005

Plotting Along

Plot: one of the most important elements of a story.

Since I last added words to my manuscript, I learned some things through my research. I knew a bit of rewriting would be necessary. Still, as I read through what I'd already written, I couldn't go on. I had hoped to flesh out some more of chapter one. Instead, I knew I had to revise my outline and rethink my plot.

Several things make a good story: characters, plot, pacing, etc. If any of the main elements are failing, the whole story can fall short. I had the major items in the plot down and several of the smaller items as well, but one key point was missing. When the herione escapes from the bad guy, why does the bad guy pursue her? What's in it for him? Why doesn't he just let her go and move on? Even though this plot point doesn't occur until two-thirds into the book, and even though it doens't seem to impact the prologue and the first chapter of the novel, it most certainly does. It affects how I build the characters, how I lay the framework, how I present the clues.

So, I spent my writing day flushing out the plot. I think I'm on the right track now. It's 1793 and my herione is running away, far far away. Away from England. To America. With a man that isn't her husband (did I mention she's already married?). Scandalous! Of course the bad guy is giving chase. It would be pretty boring otherwise. Still, all the small details in-between are what make the story, and more importantly to my mind, the *emotion*. I want you to feel what my characters feel. I want you to feel regret, remorse, pain, pleasure, hope, joy. I want you to root for the good guys and seek justice for the bad guys. And I want to keep you guessing. As I get farther along, I'll post snippets from my story, give you insight into my characters, and hopefully take you on a long and wild ride.

Tonight, when you go to sleep, imagine losing everything that's valuable to you in the blink of an eye. The only thing you have left is your pride and your sense of self-preservation. What would you do?

1 Comments:

At 3:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mortgage lender

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Site Counter

« ? Writer Blogs # »