Monday, January 24, 2005

Wading through Concrete

Today I thought about returning to the contemporary romance I was working on before I switched to the historical romance. I won’t do it though. I see that line of thought, that desire, for what it is––a diversionary tactic. Another means of stalling. I wonder what it is that holds me back. A fear of failure? A fear or success? I’m not sure. What I do know is that I am a good writer. Yet when it comes to completing a novel, something holds me back. I get a great start, work out the plot, visit with the characters in my mind, do research, and start writing. And then, going any further feels like walking through concrete. I start thinking about other books on my plate, other things I could be researching, other stories I could be writing, other responsibilities in my life I should be tending to. This time, though, I’m determined to push through that invisible boundary.

I’m not quite sure how I’m going to do it, other than to just keep on writing, even when everything in me is holding me back. For the near future, I will be an ardent subscriber to the Nike motto: JUST DO IT.

1 Comments:

At 4:15 AM, Blogger Anna Carrasco Bowling said...

Good for you! It is hard to bust through that invisible wall sometimes,but it's so totally worth it that we have to go ahead and break that sucker down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Site Counter

« ? Writer Blogs # »