Monday, January 31, 2005

Run Away Story

Often times I have an idea of how a story will progress. Perhaps I have outlined the plot and planned the scenes. But when I sit down to write, the story and the characters take on a life of their own. They may or may not follow the course I have set for them. I once set out to write a romance between Characters A and B. Character C played into the drama. As I wrote, though, Character C took over. The story became a drama between Characters A and C with Character B running interference. It turned out to be a great story, but not at all what I had originally intended. Later, I wrote a sequel which contained the romance between Characters A and B.

I find it quite useful to let the characters move the story in the direction they see fit. I let them come alive. I think my writing is better for it. Some say this is a bad idea; as the author, you are supposed to be in control of the story and handing that control over to the characters is dangerous. Perhaps. But my writing is better for it. If my characters come to life enough to take over the story and tell their own, all within the confines of some literary work, then the end result is not forced, it is flowing, glowing, burning with its own essence. And for that, I am grateful.

3 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a excellent blog - hope you can keep it going. Have you ever wondered: how to write a report It's all there: how to write a report

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A really enlightening blog you have there. If you're interested in how to write a curriculum vitae No more wondering how to write a curriculum vitae

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fantastic blog - stay with it. This site has helped many people looking for: how to write a thank you note No more wondering how to write a thank you note

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Site Counter

« ? Writer Blogs # »