Wednesday, February 09, 2005

On Standby

I am currently stepping back from my novel to do some research. The book is divided into three parts: (1) England, (2) The ship to America, (3) Settling in America. I'm working on the first part right now. I've decided, though, that I can't do it justice without having a better understanding of eighteenth century England.

I tend to be a summary writer. I concentrate on the emotions, but not on the scenery. In so doing, my writing lacks atmosphere. This is okay for the very first rough draft as it gets my ideas down on paper. I do end up going back and reworking a lot though to add that element. I'm hoping in doing the research upfront, when I do write, I will be able to incorporate everything and reduce rewrites.

My characters are still fresh in my mind, which is good. I still hope to have a draft by May, but that may be a bit ambitious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Site Counter

« ? Writer Blogs # »