Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Patience, Persistence, and Passion

Many times people have said to me, “You’re writing a novel? That must take a lot of patience.” “Not patience,” I say, “Persistence.”

Persistence is the key to writing. For me, persistence in writing is the easy part. Writing is my passion. If I’m not working on my novel, I’m writing a short story, or some poetry. And when I’m not writing, my mind constantly wanders to my writing. I think, “Oh, this would be a good idea for a story,” or “look at that beautiful rose,” and suddenly I’m reciting poetry in my mind.

Persistence in sticking with ONE story, now that is my problem. Since my mind is always running off on tangents, creating new stories, delving into the lives of newly forming characters, I tend to stray from my purpose from time to time. I’m already writing novels two and three in my head, when novel one isn’t even finished.

In the end, though, I will finish my novel. And this time that I spend away from it, working on other writing projects, I remind myself that every word I write hones my craft and makes me a better writer. And, after all, isn’t that what writing is all about?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Free Web Site Counter

« ? Writer Blogs # »